Friday, May 17, 2013

Ready for Chinese Food! ;)

Ha!  I'm sure that title is sacrilege to some people.  :)  But truthfully -- I'd love some orange chicken right now!  :)

It was an overcast day yesterday -- the fog descending on the hills was very beautiful.  When I drive to work, sometimes around the Iowa River there will be fog around that area and I always want to pull over and take pictures.  It was nice to be out with a camera taking pictures of fog!  :)

Also, in both Venice and Vernazza the church bells would ring -- love that sound.  We grew up w/ a Catholic church down the street from us, so I think it reminds me of my youth as well.  It's a very comforting sound.

So far we haven't see a microwave.  And so far, we haven't seen a bath tub -- I think this is the real reason European women are rumored to not shave their legs.  Everytime I get out of the shower, about half my leg is still unshaven.  I'm starting to look like some of the guys at Jiffy Lube who miss 1/2 the hair on their face. 


Fog descending on Vernazza
 
 
From there we headed out hiking!  There are 5 very small towns that you can hike thru. Some of them you can't even bring cars into. I can't remember the name of the first two. We hiked from the 4th town (where we stayed), Vernazza, to the 3rd town, Corniglia -- about a 2 hour hike one way -- we took the train back instead of hiking back. Later that day we took a train from Vernaza to Montorosso -- the 5th town.
 
Some pictures from along the journey:
 
 
Lots of vineyards, lemon trees and olive trees.
 
 
Beautiful coast line
 
 
Corniglia

 
 
 
 
A short visit to Montorosso.  We met some Polish friends here and headed back to Vernazza to have some pizza with them!  They were also ready for something not pasta or pizza, but we ended up w/ pizza.  Vernazza is very small, but there are many food options, but all Italian... unless you want hot dogs. :)  Which they provide for the Americans.  :) 
 

 
This is my cannoli from the night before -- it was delicious!  We ate at a restaurant that was packed with Americans.  It's owned by twin brothers that are affectionately referred to as the Cannoli Brothers.  There were Rick Steve bibles everywhere.  We overheard one guy say, "Rick says..." lol.
 
Excellent food and atmosphere!
 
Today we journeyed to Pisa and now arrived in Florence!  Both amazingly beautiful.  See you tomorrow with more!  :)
 
 


 

No comments: