Thursday, May 23, 2013

Just Another Day in Paradise -- as Phil Colins Would Say

Ok -- I have to tell you a few things about Italians.  They are NEVER far from their phones.  Their phones are out and on in some form at all times.  Also, there is graffiti everywhere in Italy -- not just Rome -- just everywhere.  It's unbelievable.  I'm not even sure how they get it in some places, but they do!

Also, when I think of Italy I think of wine and olive oil, which is true.  They have been and as far as I know continue to be common exports, but lemons are something you see everywhere, especially included in their art.  There are shops that seem to work as families to produce porcelain and they paint different things -- there are about 4 common themes, but the lemon is the very pervasive and just beautiful. 

Also, there are paper shops in abundance, which is like emotional whiplash for me every 5 feet. :)  There were actually more in Florence and Venice, but they're very common in Rome as well.  Paper shops are a weakness of mine -- I get it from my mother.  They're a special treat in the USA -- not nearly as easy to come by -- so it's very fun to see them so frequently here.  Although, I will say -- the contents of the stores are very similar. 

We miss Jack!  There are dogs everywhere and we try to pet as many as we can appropriately pet!  We're definitely looking forward to seeing buddy.  My sweet brother-in-law is taking care of him -- so he's in good hands.  Did I say this already?

When I get out of bed in the morning -- my feet are sore to the touch from all the walking we've been doing!  They get over it after about 30 seconds, but that first step out of bed onto the floor is the worst!

Also!  I'm learning the fine art of cappuccino!  This is my drink!  I love it!  Italians usually just drink it for breakfast, but I don't care, I like it and I don't like that other stuff.  Yikes.  Way too strong.  This drink is perfect!!  I always think of cappuccino like in the gas stations in America -- disgusting.  This is so good -- and not sweet at all, interestingly.



ok -- Enough blah blah blah -- We hit the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Capitoline Museum, Trevi Fountain (again), Victor Emmanuel monument (up close this time -- didn't do the tour), Piazza del Popolo. I think I sat a total of 15 min today.  :)

 
Today was our first guided tour.  It was the right amount of time -- 70 min.  Nick does not like to get trapped and I have ADD, so.... that's always something to consider for us. :)
 
The tour we had got us access to the lowest level of the Colosseum as well as the very top of the Colosseum, which was a great view of the city and of the entire Colosseum.  This is a view taken from the very top. 
 
Us at mid-level.

 
View from the lowest level.  This is where the gladiators would have been.  Apparently they lived there as well... which I guess makes sense... they were prisoners until they had their freedom.  Our guide talked about how the gladiators made a deal with the government to fight in order to go free after 3 - 5 years.  This was their only chance to live, so they didn't fight to win or for the crowd, they fought for their lives. 

 
Between the fall of Rome and the revival of Rome sometime I can't remember, all the iron was taken from the Colosseum structure and reused for other things.  Those are what all the noticeable holes in everything are from.

 
The platform partially covering the floor is a modern construction to give you some idea of what it would have looked like with a floor.  I have NEVER been able to get over the fact that they would flood the arena and bring battleships into the arena and have mock battles?? The guide explained today how they did it and we got to see where the water came in down below.
 
 
 
It was an interesting place and definitely had a sad feel to it.  There weren't many people I didn't feel sorry for after the guide got done talking.  The gladiators who were fighting for their lives, the animals that were fighting people, the persecuted -- Christians, people the emperor didn't like, slaves, military abondoners... the list goes on and on --- and also the people poor to rich that came to watch the spectacle and quite frankly be controlled by the government's slight of hand using the recreation of the exotic and emotional.  It was definitely a somber place in many regards.

 
 
The Roman Forum
 
Roman life happened here.  Pretty awesome to roam (no pun intended ;) around the ruins of this place where so many people used to gather.
 



 
Look -- there are so many columns and pieces of building laying around, people just sit around on them.  :)

 
Capitole Line Museum
 

Trevi fountain and me looking rather normal for a photo and not wearing a coat!!! YAY!!! 
 
Victor Emmanuel (Mussolini had this built)
 
 
Capitoline Museum -- look at this thing!  It's hugenormous!

 
Nick giving this man a high-five.  He wasn't all that amused by my instructions to give him a high-five tho. lol.  Thanks for being a good sport and making me laugh at lame things, hon!  :)

 
You can see the lion attacking the horse -- you can see the folds of his skin in the lions mouth.  Crazy good job on sculpting this.

 
View of Rome from the top of the Capitoline Museum

 
TA DA!

 
Entrance to the Capital Line Museum -- but more importantly... BLUE SKIES!!

 
Adios, muchachos!!

No comments: