Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lovely Days

I'm not sure I'm comfortable admitting this, but I think I just might be an Iowa girl - not the hawkeye's, just an Iowa girl. 

I hate the humidity here and I hate the snow (mostly because of driving), but sadly, I'm beginning to accept this is home. 

I'm also getting to the point - I hate even saying this out loud - I am ready to wear some substantial clothes.  I've never been a big fan of summer clothes, it feels like they should be biodegradable or something, like you wear them than throw them away at the end of summer, maybe in the yard and they end up fertilizing the plants...  Being an Iowa girl, you're used to wearing clothes that are industrial strength.  :)

Sooo, I've hit the jackpot thrifting lately!  I love Goodwill and I have a consignment shop in Cedar Rapids - Crazy Daisy’s - and one in Iowa City - Second Act - that I love.  You can find some really nice stuff for a bargain.  On a side note - I take all my extra plastic bags to the consignment shop they're always looking for them, so if you need a fun way to recycle this is a good one.  ALSO, I love taking my extra magazine places for people - laundry mat, doc office, work! 

Anyway, I found these shoes at Goodwill the other day for $4.38.  BCBG's, probably wore once/twice, in brown.  Not my favorite color, but I've been dying to try this glitter thing!  This was the perfect opportunity.  I follow a blog a friend hooked me up w/ and it was shown there. She's adorable and is an amazing repurposer.  She buys a lot of thrift stuff and tailors them to her liking:  http://cottonandcurls.blogspot.com/

I used my Martha Stewart glitter!  There's not much that Martha makes that I don't love, but her glitter is just one of my all time favorite things. :)  Also, I could live at Michael's. 




Here's my new shoes that I LOVE!  They turned out amazing:

The Original


Paint by small sections w/ Gem-Tac glue

Voila!  But not done yet!


Paint on an indoor/outdoor varnish - like a thin glue that protects the glitter.  The shoe below is wet.

The end result after the varnish dries! 

I left the heel as is.  I liked the look.  I have a few pairs tho that the heels are banged up on and this might be a good way to get a little more life out of them.

SO, I was really happy about a.) finally trying it and b.) how well it turned out.


Also, a few of my thrift finds lately:


The coral/pink skirt is a J Crew for $3.98!  Yippy yi!


How cute is this dress!  I need to do some work on the sleeves, I'd like something else, but it's so cute!  Lucial Ball! :)

Adorable skirt!  Very cute.  

No comments: