Thursday, May 3, 2012

What in the World!?

I say WOOO HOO and What in the world a lot on this trip...  So many things that are inexplicable.  You just drive along and then BAM!  There's this awesome thing.  Also, I'm sick of putting things in quotes.  You'll just have to follow along. :)

It's funny the parks all have these welcome signs from the 1950s.  It made me think, how many things are enduring??  Where can you go in 2012 that looks the same or mostly the same as it did in 1950's.  I've felt a couple times that Nick should be driving a station wagon with wood paneling while wearing a fedora, I'd be smoking a cigarette because our four kids in the back seat are stressing me out.  That's just the feel I get when I pull into some of these places.  :)

I can't say how nice it is to be off for two weeks straight.  It's a rare treat for Americans. :)  I know this because when I told people I was going to be gone for two weeks, they all said the same thing -- TWO WEEKS!!!  :)  Can I just say, I highly recommend it.  I think we say 15 times a day -- do you know what day it is.  lol.  It's a nice break from writing the date 15 times a day -- and still not remembering what day it is.

ALSO, I've taken hardly any ibuprofen on this trip despite really pushing myself physically everyday.  I've always noticed the more I sit, the worse I feel.  Darn swivel chairs and recliners -- they're the real back breakers in this world. :)  The funny part is when I woke up today my hands hurt and the back of my arms. lol.  From all that digging in against the current when we crossed the river yesterday. 

There have been a lot of Parisians on this trip and Asians.  All the parks and areas have been pretty quiet so far we've heard -- I'm guessing once the kids get out of school, the Americans will begin filling the parks up.  Also, I'm not sure if a duty free Harley-Davidson shop just recently got opened somewhere, but we have interestingly ran across a few Harley-Davidson riding French biker groups... My guess is they're French speaking Canadian... that would make more sense...  maybe.  Anyway -- it's not quite what you expect.

The weather has been lovely everyday so far.  A real blessing.  It's not been too hot, it was even a little chilly at some points today.  We were at over 8,000 elevation today, so that always seems to play into things.  There are hardly any bugs and my hair dries in ~19 seconds. 

Also, people who light cigarettes in national parks that have signs advising the fire potential for the day make me nervous.  Just wait till you get out.  You can do it!  I believe in you!

This is our CREEPPPPY fake sherif!  What the what!  Isn't this just creepy?  There was another one up the road.

Welcome to Bryce Canyon!


Lots of trees with a lot of root exposed.  Kind of pretty.


Looking good, Nick Timmerman!

Awwww... cute little buddy.

Classic Nick Timmerman shot.

Hail to the Hodo! (that's what these things are called FYI)



Ca-ra-zy!

Switchbacks all the way back up!  Beautiful views.

This monument is called Thor's hammer.


It's us!

Ha ha!  I put him up to this  :)  It's so funny. :)

Isn't it amazing?

Some friends we met yesterday took this picture and e-mailed it to us!  So sweet!  This is us just getting started on the journey!  :)

We're staying at the Circle D Motel in Escalante, UT.  When we got here there were some folks playing guitar and banjo while singing most of the sound track of Oh Brother Where Art Tho.  We opened the windows and doors and sang along when we could.  :)  Nick came and got me just a min ago (he's outside reading -- hates all the typing lol), a guy a couple rooms up is out in front of his room playing his violin.  What is this awesome place!!



No comments: