Sunday, April 21, 2019

God Save the Queen

We made it safely, but so tiredly London yesterday.  I'm getting too old to fly in middle seats in coach for lengthy flights.  The lady next to me was 75 and had knee surgery in January, and I was way more antsy than her.

We spent sometime wandering here and there yesterday, but we didn't really have a plan, just what we could stay away for.  Nick found a wonderful Indian restaurant to end at last night and that was a perfect way to end the night.

Today we had a hard time getting up and going.  We only have two days here, but we were almost willing to sleep through it all we were so tired.  AND THEN THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENED... MY STRAIGHTENER DIED.  I don't remember the last time I wore a ponytail in public, but it had to be.  The blowdried in the room didn't have heat, so my hair was exceptionally bad this AM... and no straightener.  So, now I have a dilemma of global proportions because how do I buy a straightener overseas that I can use when I get back!?  1st world problems, yes, I know.

Anywho!  We did the hop-on-hop-off bus today, which we've never done.  With so little time in the city, we got to ride around and see everything at least.  We headed back to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square and did a quick run through of the art there.

But before all that... we went to the Sherlock Holmes museum!  The museum was a little cheesy, but we used to listen to Sherlock Holmes stories when we were kids and I've watched every remake / take on Sherlock Holmes since.  It was super exciting to be at 221B Bakers street today!

Being here makes me want to go back and read more history.  You always see connections between things and I always get interested in their origins.  Being in the UK I had even more than normal given America's history with this country and others.

Me at Big Ben - it's being worked on so all but the clock face was behind scaffolding.

Outside the National Gallery w/ my ponytail.

Both of us.


Monument Outside Buckingham Palace.

Beautiful flower garden outside Buckingham Palace.

St. James Garden below Buckingham Palace.  Had never seen a black swan before.  Many beautiful species of ducks I'd never seen as well.


Admiralty Arch


Tower Bridge


SHERLOCK HOLMES MUSEUM!!

Us at the Sherlock Holmes Museum

London Eye, River Thames, and Big Ben

Westminster Abbey

No comments: