Monday, April 30, 2012

A Grand Place Indeed

What a day -- I'm EXHAUSTED!  I'm writing this from the Red Rock Motel, down from LuLu's Sleep Eeze Motel and Debbie's Hideaway Motel.  It's old school and Nick and I are both happy about something off the beaten path!

We got started at a humane time, headed out of Flagstaff and to the Grand Canyon.  This ones been on Nick's list for quite some time.  I had been when I was younger, but honestly had very little recollection of it.  Surprise, surprise.  :) 

This is a picture from when I was young (you should be able to click on it and have it enlarge), that little dot out there is my father, scary the crap out of us.  That littler dot behind him is my sister Melody, knowing her, she went with him to keep and eye on him and beg him not to do whatever he was about to do.  :)  She's always been worried about everyone.  :)


So, anyway, did a short jaunt around the South rim (North rim doesn't open until early/mid May).  And then we headed to Bright Angel Trail to start our decent down the canyon!  This one was tricky... it was all downhill FIRST!  The hike back up was BRUTAL and at the end.  :) 

  
Some pics from the South Rim...


An Asian tourist group is on the peak below.  They were all very brightly dressed.  I was interested in finding a few of the pieces they were wearing.  :) 


Hey!  It's us! 

From here it was off to the hike! 

I'm not sure what it is about hikes, but I love talking to people when we're out.  Maybe because I'm trying to slack off.  :)  But mostly, I think I'm finally out of a mode of some sort.  We met a lot of people today, from Iran, Amsterdam, New Jersey, Australia, France.  I love that about the places we've gone, there are people from all over the world appreciating the world.  You just can't beat it. 

I did get laughing, I had taken a picture of a couple girls and their dad. WELL, I thought I saw just the girls again while Nick and I were hiking, so I asked them if, "they lost their dad."  They were more then a little perplexed and advised that they hadn't.  Nick went ahead and informed me they weren't the same girls... we laughed 1/2 the hike and off and on thru the night about it. 




Awww... so cute!  He was working hard.

Awww... so cute!  :)  He was working hard too.  :) 

Awwww... so cute!  :p  He was working hard looking for food. 

These are my filthy ugly shoes!  They came in quite handy!  Pretty comfy for the walk.  Just not overly cute.  :) 

We stopped at Desert View Tower as we were leaving the Grand Canyon -- I got a little choked up here.  It was just majestic.

I think this about covers it.  Sign on the wall of the tower. 

From the window of the tower. 

Some pics from the drive from the Grand Canyon to Page, AZ.  The drive was just amazing.  I hung out the window with a camera for most of it.  And listened to Jim Gaffigan for the rest of it.  :)  It put a lot of these pics in the wrong order, but I'm sure you'll get the pic... no pun.  ;)

Exiting

Enter. 






Oops -- Colorado River that goes thru the Canyon -- taken from the tower. 

A shaddow of us driving down the road.  :)

Classic Nick Timmerman.  :) 

1 comment:

THE QUEEN said...

Where are they now?? Did they fall from a cliff??!! It's okay, the bright asian clothing can be distracting! Were you ever in their midst? Although you are not a blonde or a fashionable redhead, they still might be inclined to pet you! Have I ever told you about Disneyland? Land of the two headed creepy people?? Try going there sometime! EeeGad!
Everything you have seen seems fun. Why is it always that way?? More fun when someone else does it? I know you two think that.
R you coming back like a couple of homing pigeons?? I think you should.